Individual Recognition. Institutional Impact.
ABA, through its subsidiary, the Institute of Certified Bankers (ICB), promotes industry excellence and continuous career development for bankers through a wide range of job-specific professional certifications. Developed by experts in the financial services industry in partnership with ABA, our certifications are acknowledged industry-wide as the symbol of excellence in banking skills and knowledge.
ICB professional certifications are awarded only to those financial services professionals who pass a rigorous examination and maintain their level of knowledge with ongoing education.
How certification benefits your career:
- Maintains Your Competitive Edge—An ICB certification provides evidence that you have attained the skills and possess the knowledge to stay current in your field.
- Commitment to the Industry—Certification demonstrates your commitment to your profession. Taking the time necessary to study, prepare and maintain your certification will set you apart from others in your field.
- Increases Your Confidence and Improves Retention—After earning certification, more than 90 percent of ICB members indicated that recognition by their peers and others in the industry was most valuable to them. There is no better way for management to show commitment to their employees than by supporting the pursuit and maintenance of an ICB certification.
How certification benefits your bank:
- Validates Competency—Professional certification from the ICB ensures that your employees possess current, relevant skills, affording them deeper insight into their field and a higher level of overall competence. With knowledge of recent trends, the latest regulations and new and developing options, your certified staff will quickly become your—and your customers’—“go to” people.
- Staff Retention—By providing your employees with opportunities to grow their talents and master new skills, you are demonstrating a commitment to their professional development that can translate into greater company loyalty and better retention rates for your high performers.
- Mitigates Risk—ICB certification examinations test applicable laws and regulations. Employees with knowledge of these laws and regulations mean that you are able to steer your organization through potential problems, make recommendations that may prevent complications later, and provide your clients with good advice.
- Shows regulators you're dedicated to keeping employees current—Bank examiners also recognize the commitment that professional certification represents. In the event your examiner requests detailed reports regarding certification, you’ll be able to produce them. And your dedication to keeping staff current will reflect positively on your bank.