CUSIP® Securities Identification
CUSIP® is the universally recognized identifier for financial instruments and their issuers. CUSIP® identifiers cover a wide range of global financial instruments, including extensive equity and debt issues, derivatives, syndicated loans, hedge funds, and listed options for the US and Canada.
CUSIP® - Based Identifiers
CUSIP-based identifiers support the accurate and efficient clearance and settlement of securities, as well as processing associated with income payments made during the lifecycle of an issue. They enable:
- Holders, analysts and brokers to rapidly identify and access issue-specific data
- Custodians and sub-custodians to easily communicate on securities transactions
- Depositories to accurately manage transactions and examine historical data
These identifiers include:
- CUSIP® - Universally recognized identifier for financial instruments (CUSIPs are 9-character identifiers that capture an issue's important differentiating characteristics within a common structure)
- CINS - CUSIP® International Numbering System
- CUSIP-based ISIN - Participation in the assignment of CUSIP-based International Securities Identification Numbers
Obtaining a CUSIP® - Based Identifier
CUSIP-based identifiers are assigned by CUSIP Global Services (CGS). CUSIP Global Services is managed on behalf of the American Bankers Association (ABA) by S&P Capital IQ, a division of McGraw-Hill Financial, Inc.
CGS distributes CUSIP data in a variety of formats and frequencies, with the products organized by:
- CGS Database Services
- Identifier Solution Services
- Portfolio Services
- Segments Services
- Web Services
For more information on CGS's products and services, please visit the CGS Services webpage, or contact the Sales Department at 212-438-4500.
To obtain a CGS identifier, please use our online application form. You can also contact CGS at 212-438-6500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CUSIP Educational Programs
CUSIP Global Services offers, free of charge, educational programs specifically designed to help users understand the structure and application of the CUSIP system in both seminar and webinar formats.
For more information on upcoming seminars, or to arrange a seminar right at your offices, visit the CUSIP website or contact Esmeralda Estrella at 212-438-4028 or email@example.com.
CUSIP® and CABRE® are registered trademarks of the ABA, any reproduction is strictly prohibited.