ABA Media Contact: Meghan French
Last updated: Jan. 30, 2014
In 1999, Congress enacted the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLB), which expanded the ability of banks to market insurance products. ABA and its affiliate the American Bankers Insurance Association (ABIA) are committed to ensuring that insurance organizations and the consumers they serve continue to benefit from the enlarged insurance authority granted under the GLB Act.
Since 1999, bank insurance sales have steadily grown. In the first half of 2008, the nation's bank holding companies increased their total insurance revenue 9.5 percent to $23.7 billion from $21.7 billion during the same period in 2007. During the first six months of 2008, 607 bank holding companies (64.2 percent of all top-level large BHCs reporting) earned some type of insurance-related revenue.
Insurers are subject to regulation by both the federal and state governments; however, the federal government has given states the primary authority to regulate insurance. Because of this, insurers are often subject to a patchwork of state regulations. ABIA proposes offering an optional federal charter for insurance companies and agencies to create a system similar to the dual banking system that banks have successfully operated under for 140 years. A federal regulatory structure would make the sale of insurance products more efficient, benefiting consumers, banks and insurance companies alike.
American Bankers Insurance Association
- ABA and ABIA Commend Senate Approval of the Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act (Jan. 30, 2014)
- ABIA Applauds Senate Action on NARAB II (Jan. 30, 2014)
- ABIA Applauds Treasury for Insurance Regulation Report (Dec. 12, 2013)
- ABIA Elects Two New Board Members (May 23, 2013)
- ABIA Statement on CFPB’s Lender-Placed Insurance Rule (Jan. 17, 2013)
- ABA and ABIA Applaud Congress for Increasing NFIP’s Borrowing Authority (Jan. 4, 2013)
- ABIA Announces New Executive Director (Dec. 4, 2012)
- ABIA-Michael White Report: New Reporting Institutions Drive Bank Annuity Income (Oct. 22, 2012)
- ABIA Elects 2012-2013 Officers, Board Members (Sept. 28, 2012)
- ABIA to Hold Annual Conference September 24-26 (July 19, 2012)