The Direct Contact Banker
program is designed to leverage relationships that local bank presidents have, or wish to build, with elected officials to educate them on the effects that legislation can have on the banking industry and their local constituents. The qualifications for those who participate in this program are high because the stakes are high. The banking industry cannot afford to be "right on the issue, but wrong on the politics" any longer. Our political opponents have only one goal - to be victorious. Our aim has to be the same if we expect to prevail in the legislative arena.
Direct Contact Bankers will serve as the front line for the banking industry. A lot is expected of them and they will generally be the first called into action. When you sign up, here is what will be expected of you:
- President, CEO or other senior officer that has the authority to speak for the bank.
- Understands that preserving the strength of the banking industry depends on bankers being actively involved in the political arena.
- Either has, or is committed to developing and building, a personal relationship with their Member of Congress.
- Willing to communicate personally with their Member of Congress on industry issues.
- Respond to calls to action by personally calling or writing your Member of Congress.
- Encourage your employees, directors and other bankers to participate in industry-wide grassroots campaigns.
- Meet with your Member of Congress in the district.
- Participate in sponsored Washington, D.C. "Fly-Ins."
- Host a meeting with your Member of Congress and invite other district bankers to attend.
Click here to sign up for Direct Contact Bankers.
Click here to view the DC Bankers Brochure (PDF)
Click here to go to back to the ABA Grassroots Advocacy Resource Center.